Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

All things are connected.

Creation Turtle...Daniel Ramirez (Saginaw Chippewa)

But the old Lakota was wise. He knew that a man's heart, away from nature, becomes hard; he knew that lack of respect for growing, living things soon led to lack of respect for humans, too. So he kept his children close to nature's softening influence.
Chief Luther Standing Bear (Oglala Sioux)


Happy Earth Day 2008


P


Loon Update

Just yesterday I wrote about my Loon sitings and then today the Minneapolis Star-Tribune had a short article that explained why so many were in our area. "The northward spring loon migration has become 'like a car pileup,' with large flocks congregating on area lakes to await the breakup of ice." The larger lakes including Lake Superior are still frozen.

What I want to know is how do these guys know about the conditions up north? Do they have scouts or do they all make the trip, see the ice, and head back? And does anyone mention, "I told you so!"
No sadder sound salutes you than the clear, wild laughter of the loon.~~Celia Thaxter

3 comments:

Marianne said...

Very Wise Words, we'd do well to keep them always in mind.

Tom said...

What a nice post for eath day. :O)

Texas Travelers said...

I just found your site through Skywatch Friday. I am glad I did.

I am adding you to my already stuffed full "Check it Out - Favorites" Blog roll.

It's probably one of the most fun and educational sites I have seen.

I love the way you post about everything. I can get more fun and educational material in 5 minutes here than in 10 hours of TV (which I have just about given up since I have started blogging).

Thanks for the uplift,
Troy and Martha