Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

On a late autumn, Halloween weekend we made probably our last pilgrimage to Wisconsin along the St. Croix Scenic River route to spot Tundra swans on their way south along the flyway in Alma. Too early. So that meant more time to visit my favorite bakery, the Smiling Pelican Bakeshop in Maiden Rock. I've posted about this spot before and for once we got there before the lady in front of me bought the last scone and the couple before her bought the last piece of pie--all by about 10:00 am. We went home with pumpkin pie and snickerdoodles. And a vintage, Depression Glass cake stand, Lyre pattern. You see, the baker, Sandy has started a collection of old cake plates and sells a couple as well. Here's what greets you as you step in her shop, once you inhale all the goodness which puts a smile on your face:

These shelves are above kitchen work area as well as above the bread display above. Its a magical place. I felt like I'd walked into a story book setting. . .


Happy Monday Halloween!

6 comments:

Snap said...

Lots of goodies and a cake stand! Jackpot! Happy Halloween!

Daryl said...

What a fabulous collection ... I wouldnt want to be the one who has to dust/wash all those ..

Jeannelle said...

Who knew cake plates could make great photos!

Ms. Becky said...

I know just where you were. that's a gorgeous drive too. I'm so happy you were able to score at the bakery!!! happy Halloween, and week, to you Noni.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

I see two cake stands I'd buy in a second. Pastries and old glass? Too much temptation.

Kate said...

A friendly place with terrific products. We always stop there as well as the Pie shop a bit farther down the road in Stockholm.