Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Two lumps of sugar and pass the cream if you will

Another Thursday dawns and that means playing Blue's Favourite Things Thursday--when I search through the cobwebs of my mind for those illusive dreams and things that make me happy. This week its a collection of small pitchers/creamers like these:



which I pick up randomly at thrift stores, yard sales and occasionally a real antique shop if the price is within my 'pitcher' budget. I've collected these in the 1-1/2 years I've lived in the Twin Cities. However, safely packed away in storage is a box full of over 30 years of collecting. Someday they'll be rescued from bubble wrap and properly displayed.

After many years of no contact with my mother and father -- long story -- after we were reacquainted, when I showed my mom my burgeoning collection she, being who she was, ran out and bought me not only a pitcher but the accompanying sugar bowl, coffee pot, demitasse cups and saucers in a gold rimmed, porcelain flower pattern, made in Bavaria! Being of Bavarian extraction, she had a remarkable eye for beautiful porcelain combined with a champagne appetite on a beer salary. She was thoroughly convinced her love of beautiful things was her German-ness.

I have pewter, Irish pottery, English glass and cranberry glass pitchers from Massachusetts plus recycled gems from yard sales in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and Chicago--just about everywhere I've lived. Gifted pitchers are the best because it means I'm well known by the giver. I've noticed too that I usually wind up selecting my favorite colors without fully intending to.

Most recently the porcelain pitcher with pink roses on the far right below was purchased at a garage sale from an older lady who was liquidating. She said it was her favorite and she'd given it many uses. I got it for a song.



Yup, when I turned it over, the bottom was marked. . . Bavaria.

Visit Blue to see more favourite things of hers and her friends or you might even want to play along.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh am I jealous of you right now. I love, love, love, them all.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I love all that kind of stuff. what I need is a bigger house to put my treaures.

Nessa said...

Another good choice and you have so many beautiful ones. I love the shape of cream pitchers. I keep paint brushes and pens and pencils in mine. My mother is from the Salzburg area of Austria.

Kyanite said...

What a very neat collection, I love the porcelain ones.
I could add a couple additions too from my own china - they've blue edgings of course.

Dragonstar said...

These are lovely. You collect small jugs the way I collect dragons. Your collection serves a more useful purpose though.

Roan said...

What a wonderful collection you have. They beg to be displayed. I especially enjoy the floral designs. BJ

mrsnesbitt said...

How lovely! I have a collection of jugs which I use every day. My favourite milk jug has a pair of feet as well as a matching sugar bowl. My favourite jug however is slightly larger and must be well over 50 years old. It was my nana's, she made the gravy & yorkshire pudding mixture in it. Sadly it was chipped in the dishwasher but I did glue it all together and still use it every day.

Anonymous said...

My late mother collected porcelain. I enjoyed it for the craftsmanship which is displayed in a beautiful piece. Yours is a lovely collection.

Tom said...

Those are very nice.. I colleced Hornsea pottery for a while, then glass, I have a friend that as a great selection of shaving mugs.. some are very old. It's a nice hobby to have and it can come in handy as an investment at times.

Nydia said...

Oh you have such a cool and sweet collection! My mom has som porcelain cups too, it's lovely o hve them around.

Kisses from Nydia.
Thanks for your kind words on my FT post! :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog site?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear concept

Review my webpage - metal bats