Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, dear Cakes



She was born on an early Wednesday evening to the soft sway of an easy listening station piped into the operating room. Two doctors helped deliver her into the new world she was reluctant to visit--flipping like a small dolphin and hiding high under my ribs for another two weeks. She was named Vanessa for her sleepy first 24 hours but finally given the name Audrey to make me happy. She grew up to be not only Audrey but Cakes, Chocolate Eyes and now just Aud. Strong, beautiful, funny, generous, hard working, left handed, artistic, ever so stubborn and kind, I'm still reeling when I realize that she's been on this earth for thirty years today!

No sense in asking where the time went. . .I have memories to last a lifetime. Now I am jealous of the time because I want to keep her as a daughter/friend, watching where she goes and with whom. And what I know about her is that she will make a difference in the world--even more than she did in mine.




Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. Dr. Seuss

10 comments:

Judy Merrill-Smith said...

Happy birthday to Aud, and happy birthday memories to you!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Happy birthday. Dr. Seuss couldn't of said it any better.

Kat Mortensen said...

Happy Birthday to your wonderful daughter!
I love the Dr. Seuss quote - so appropriate. You are obviously so proud!

Kat

Christy Woolum said...

What a lovely tribute to your daughter. As others said.. the Dr. Seuss quote couldn't have said it better.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Happy Birthday, Audrey! Always Noni's Baby.

Daryl said...

Happy Birthday, Auds. You have a terrific mom/friend and I expect you are a terrific daughter/friend... I wish you both many more special days to celebrate together!

Marianne said...

Wishing you Happiest Birthday Sweet Audrey :^)

Granny Smith said...

Happy Birthday Audrey! What a wonderful mother you chose to be born to.

i beati said...

special to say the least

sandy

Carol said...

Such a nice post for such a nice daughter....thanks for sharing this little story...(love the name Audrey)