Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2009

A vi'let on the meadow grew...

The colour du jour for True Colours Thursday would be VIOLET.
Visit the colorful meme here.
When I think 'violet,' my mind always wanders into the garden or along a path in the woods. . .
And shade the violets, That they may bind the moss in leafy nets. John Keats


My favorite artwork that centers around violets is by Albrecht Dürer, the father of the Northern Renaissance. This was done circa 1503.
Hath the pearl less whiteness
Because of its birth?
Hath the violet less brightness
For growing near earth?
Thomas Moore

10 comments:

Daryl said...

Oh Noni, so pretty .. I was commenting on Dragon Days how violet it so different from purple but I couldnt explain how .. other than to say I thought violet had more blue than red .. and then I remembered heliotrope which to me is purple on acid .. LOL

Carolina said...

A very violet post ;-)

Christy Woolum said...

These photos area beautiful. I am ready for pansies! I did the book meme from your post tonight. Come check it out!

Tom said...

Excellent post... love all the flowers you have to show.

Tom

Samantha ~ Holly and Zac ~ said...

Lovely Violet flowers, especially the first plant. I don't know what it is but i like it.

stitchwort said...

And violets' scent is so wonderful - well worth the muddy knees and odd looks from others to get down close and smell them!

Catherine said...

Very pretty~I love violets!
Lovely quotes as well!
Happy Weekend!
Cat

Anonymous said...

Love each violet thought.

i beati said...

i just love them so much - violets the woodland kind hiding under a leaf or around the bend. Growing up in Wva we had bright purple pink, whitem, yellow and of course purple I've tried to grow them here,with very little luck.they are so simple yet complex.they hide and pop up just when I need them. I have them as my desktopSandy

Kat Mortensen said...

Those are stunning photographs, NoniZ!

Alas, I have never had any luck with keeping little pots of violets alive.

I am waiting for the lilac bushes too!

Kat