Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Are we having fun yet? or farewell Round 7


Although I haven't been a reliable blogger since we moved in, umm, September, I couldn't let this last round of ABC Wednesday pass on without my contribution to the letter 'z.'


Does anyone in blog land read Zippy the Pinhead in the daily newspaper besides me? It's not your ordinary comic strip, but grew out of the underground comics of the 1970's era of Robert Crumb et al. Zippy lives in Dingville with his wife Zerbina and two kiddos, Fuelrod and Meltdown. Don't let the fact that they wear yellow polka dot mu-mus distract you from the smart, funny and perhaps a little off commentary on our 'modern' American culture. Remember, the strip got its start in the Berkeley Barb. Need I say more except that it was Zippy himself who coined the phrase in my title?

See more Z's at Mrs. Nesbitt's place here. Happy reading!

8 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Hi Noni. Thanks for this post. I loved reading R. Crumb and others but Zippy? I totally missed him or I don't remember him at all. We don't see him in our local papers. My coffee shop always has a copy of the S. F. Chron. out. I'll look for him there. Seems like he would be there.

mrsnesbitt said...

Hilarious contribution and so very clever too. Yes we have had fun on ABC Wednesday - and now entering our 4th year and round 8! More thinking!
Thanks so much for your contributions
Denise ABC Team

Tumblewords: said...

I don't think it's available locally, but I'll do a search - sounds like something I'd enjoy.

Roger Owen Green said...

Actually, I know Zippy not from the newspapers but from comic books in the 1980s. Used to sell them too.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kay L. Davies said...

What a fun post. I don't think I've ever seen Zippy before but the three Zs in this cartoon are great, especially the last one. LOL
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Wanda said...

Is is a new comic strip for me. But I also used comic strips for my Z!!

I enjoyed your narrative on the comic.

i beati said...

Hi yes and I meant to ask you if you are forcing any bulbs indoors. I am I love to this time of years..sandy

jabblog said...

Great stuff, Noni!
I hope things are feeling less strange now in your new abode :-)