Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hooray for new beginnings!


I just love new beginnings with a clean slate, fresh Big Chief tablet, sharp Crayons and a new typewriter ribbon. Therefore, I present my addition to ABC Wednesday's letter du jour:
A--a photo of my ancestors. The year is 1957 at the upper level of Ross Park in Pocatello, Idaho. I'm sitting between my dear Aunt Carmela** on the left and my godmother, Aunt Yolanda on my right. There's my cousin David [who I'm sure wears contacts now] with my Grandmother Filomena and Grandpa Vito. Looks like it was a birthday picnic. When you're seven and you have braids with ribbons, I'm guessing everyday is a picnic!

Visit Mrs Nesbitt for an easy 'A' as we begin Round 8, and possibly more trips down Memory Lane.

**The feel of your smooth, small arms around my neck and the
Kiss stuck to my check from the peach you just swallowed.
My head sprouting curly wires where a mane once flowed
And in the mirror it is Aunt Carmela, patron saint of garlic,
Whose face–and hair—I see.
[see the rest of my poem in the Poems tab above]


11 comments:

jabblog said...

What a happy family photo! Oh, to be seven years old again with everything fresh and new. I went on into your poems - I like the unaffected way you express yourself.

Roger Owen Green said...

Ancestry has become more important as I've AGED!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Donna said...

I was 6yrs old at the time of this photo!
Wow...love the shot!
hughugs

Tumblewords: said...

Absolutely perfect! Yes, a day in the park for a 7-year-old is a party day! Now I'm off to read your poems.

Carver said...

What a wonderful family picture. I was born in 1957 but my oldest sister was 7 in 1957. Great year for seven year olds.

SandyCarlson said...

Utterly beautiful reflection. That photo is so vivid. Thanks for taking us to Idaho.

Gattina said...

Amazing, that picture doesn't look that old !

Reader Wil said...

Good choice for A, Noni! I am glad to see you again. Ancestors are important to us. Now I am getting older and the oldest but one of my relatives, I realise that life is short and still we have a lot of memories.

i beati said...

nostalgia all good sandy

Mona said...

good to see old pic have time to visit my entry here

Pietro Brosio said...

Wonderful family photo, so bright and spontaneous!