Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Location, location. . .


A beautiful pair of white herons were scouting the local real estate Easter Sunday around our lakes. To the right is a Japanese block print called 'White Heron and Irises', circa 1833 from the Victoria & Albert Museum. At left from the Freer/Sackler Gallery at the Smithsonian, 'White Heron on a Snowy Willow,' mid 15th century. Below is the best shot I could get.
When I watched my pair through the binoculars the male plumage was incredible, with long wing feathers touching the ground. They were huddled together in the sunshine, casting white shadows on the water. And for a split second they reminded me of a cautious celebrity couple surreptitiously trying to evade the paparazzi. Earlier that morning I heard the unmistakable plaintiff call of loons as two black silhouettes flew above my head. More Minnesota nice!
P.S. In the same family I highly recommend listening to The Crane Wife by the Decemberists. . .and don't pay any attention to Audrey if she tells you otherwise!

2 comments:

Granny Smith said...

Beautiful photgraph!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I love how you've posted your photo alongside the artwork! Wonderful!