Pages

Friday, July 27, 2007

Happy Day, Bea

Tomorrow, July 28th, will be Beatrix Potter's 141st birthday. She was born on this date in 1866 in London. If there ever was an author's birthday to celebrate this is the one! Who hasn't been somehow touched by her writing and lovely illustrations? Her love of animals and lively imagination, combined with a lonely childhood produced animals characters like no other.
I highly recommend the film Miss Potter released this spring with Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor. Not schmaltzy but straightforward, visually stunning, with a message for young women one hundred years later about being loyal and deliberate with one's dreams and living a life of one's own in spite of disapproval by others and inevitable pain that life can dish out. Beatrix was an adamant believer is preserving land and habitats in her beloved Lake Country too. So tomorrow I'll eat a scone and raise a cuppa Earl Grey in her honor. I hope you will too.

'Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were -- Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.'

3 comments:

Julie said...

I just got the movie "Miss Potter" from Netflix and planned to watch it tomorrow. Now that I know it is Miss P's birthday I for sure will watch it!

Julie

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks for the reminder of her birthday! I love Beatrix Potters stories and illustrations!

Granny Smith said...

My favorite gift to newborns (not that they can appreciate it yet!) is a set of Beatrix Potter books in the original small sized volumes. My favorite when I was very young was "The Tale of Two Bad Mice". Two or three months ago I read a collection of selections from her diaries and letters to her friends. It's fascinating. I wish I could remember who the book is attributed to, but I tend to lose information like that. Your flower photos are stunning, as usual.

Phyllis