Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A mediocre day thrifting is better than a good day of work anytime. Today's excursion turned up this beauty:
I really don't need another Pyrex casserole dish but this is one of my favorite colors and it came with a lid. Besides I now reside in Hot Dish Country and even though the thought of the turning on the oven is reprehensible I'm on the trail of recipes that will fill up this dish. Here's one from The Great Minnesota Hot Dish cookbook:


Chicken Noodle Hot Dish
3 3/4 cups wide egg noodles, uncooked
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 3/4 cups whole milk (I'm sure low fat milk will be fine)
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 tablespoon minced yellow onions
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper


Cook noodles according to package directions but less 3 minutes cooking time; drain.
In a saucepan, mix together soup and milk; stir and cook until hot.
Add remaining ingredients, including noodles; mix.
Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Sprinkle top with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.


Better still for you Garrison Keillor fans--and you know who you are!--would be any one of the 42 recipes submitted to the Prairie Home Companion which includes Garrison Keillor's mom's "Meatloaf [sort of a hot dish]' as well as other tempting dishes such as "Ship-Wreck," "French's Chili-O With a Kick," "Thursday Night Special ('My Dad would put this together on my Mother's bowling night.' )" "Mom's Bacon, Sauerkraut, and Noodle Hot Dish," "Funeral Hot Dish," "Spam-aroni and Cheese," and

RinCumDiddy
6 slices white (we use Wonder) bread
Velveeta cheese (cubed)
1 large can crushed tomatoes
Potato chips

In a saucepan, heat the tomatoes and Velveeta cheese cubes until the cheese begins to melt. In a greased casserole (hot dish) dish, put a layer of bread on the bottom, add tomato and cheese mixture, put another layer of bread, then another layer of tomato and cheese. Top the whole thing with crushed potato chips. Bake at 350 degrees until the mixture is bubbly. Bubbly and good.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I absolutely agree with your first comment. I love the color of the bowl. I would have bought it even if I am not a collector.

Yes, you are totally in hot dish country now. Don't you dare call it a casserole. I can't cook hotdishes because my husband says he had too many in the Navy. But I do enjoy them when I get a chance to sample them elsewhere. This chicken noodle one looks really good.

Julie

Marianne said...

I love the bowl!er...hot dish!
I've always called them casseroles but 'hot dish' has a nice ring to it. I love making 'hot dishes' as soon as the weather cools off, I make 'tuna glop' which we all love. I'll give your chicken noodle a try come this Autumn.
Impatiens? beautiful!

Christy Woolum said...

For some mysterious reason my dad never liked hot dishes so we missed out on so many casseroles as a child. I love the color of the pyrex dish.