Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spring blows my hat off!

In hommage to the Violet-wreathed muses and spring that blew in this week, making the grass green and the lakes melt, I offer a spring-y recipe. I baked this yesterday using spelt flour, wheat's older and nicer cousin.

Zucchini Lemon Bread
1c all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (I used spelt flour)
1/2 c. sugar
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. packed, shredded zucchini
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1T grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. fat-free milk
1/2 c. canola oil
2 lg. eggs

Preheat oven to 350, prepare 9x5 loaf pan w/nonstick spray.
Mix flours, sugar, soda, salt & baking powder, zucchini, walnuts, cinnamon & zest in large bowl. Combine eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry mixture until just moistened. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
Let sit in pan 5 minutes and then turn out onto rack to cool.
Cut into 18 slices=122 cals. each; exchanges: 1 fat, 1 starch
[adapted from The New Family Cookbook for People With Diabetes]


note to self:

"Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe,
and stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think."

Christopher Robin to Pooh A.A. Milne

6 comments:

Beatriz Macias said...

Well, this one sounds delicious, and with the abundance of zucchini around here, we will get to try it soon. I have to figure out where to get flour other than regular, all purpose, white flour... I should ask.
Enjoy your beautiful Spring.

Anonymous said...

Your bread and flowers look yummy. I am going to try that recipe.

DAB said...

Popped over from Babooshka's blog. Great bread, love your art quote TF

Marianne said...

Bloglines failed me...

Mmmmm, that looks really good and I'm thinking... I have everything I need, oops, nope, I need a lemon and milk, would soy milk work? I wonder...

_________________________________

"Christopher Robin?," whispered Pooh.
"Yes, Pooh Bear?"

"I'll never not remember you..ever"

Queen-Size funny bone said...

send me a piece that looks really
yummy.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Thanks! I love zucchini! Mostly breaded and fried, but you can never have enough zucchini recipes.