Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

siftin' sand

The letter I is the letter of the week for Round 5 of ABC Wednesday. For me it stands for the illusive nature of the sand and rocks that are washed up on the beach. And my wild imaginings of where they came from and just how old they might be.


These are a few of the rocks I found while walking on the Lake Michigan shore. I always look for heart shaped rocks and wasn't disappointed this time. As you will recall from Geology 101 [which I barely passed with a C] these are predominately igneous rocks [the others being your metamorphic and sedimentary types]. Below are some good examples of the variety of 'wash up' I found, including two pieces of sea glass...most likely old beer bottles...plus wonderful little shells and fragments of shells.

All day, all night, Marianne
Down by the seaside siftin’ sand
Even little children love Marianne
Down by the seaside siftin’ sand
from the 1950's song 'Marianne' by Terry Gilkyson, Frank Miller and Richard Dehr

11 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Great post! Love the rocks and shells and I do remember the song! Lovely photos!

Enjoy your beach!

Sylvia

Marianne said...

:^D
I love rocks and shells, and those are some Beauties. I've also pondered from where, and how old.
Dad sang that song to me throughout my whole life (while he was here to sing it). xoxox

Tumblewords: said...

I love this post - brings back a ton of memories. Sea glass is endlessly fascinating and heart-shaped rocks are a special find.

Kate said...

Finding rocks, sea glass and treasures along the shore of Lake Michigan (or any of the Great Lakes) is an act of incredible love.

magiceye said...

beautiful post

Rune Eide said...

This reminds me of camping near the beaches of Denmark. The children wanted to take all the beautiful stones along back home. Usually we managed to reduce the amount a bit :-)

jabblog said...

Very pretty rocks and shells and it's always fascinating to wonder about their origins.

Q said...

So very beautiful.
I also am a collector of rocks and shells.
Creative I post too!
Sherry

raf said...

A lovely collection, Noni, from the water's edge and a fine choice for the I today. We have more than a few of the same strewn about the place.
Another very nice masthead image you've chosen for your beautiful blog!

Roger Owen Green said...

illuminating, illustrative, imaginative

Rinkly Rimes said...

What colourful finds! Irridescent!