Pages

Friday, February 1, 2008

'The only lasting beauty is the beauty of the heart.' Rumi

Today is the National Wear Red Day to encourage participation in the American Heart Asssociation's Go Red For Women movement. Heart disease and stroke are the No. 1 killer of women in America. The entire month of February is devoted to awareness, celebration and encouragement for all women who have been or will be touched by this disease.

When I was unloading my groceries today, the woman putting her groceries in the trunk of her car next to me was decked out in red from head to foot. I asked her if she was celebrating the Wear Red Day and she sighed and said she was. "We women have to look out for each other!" She echoed what the American Heart Association is promoting in their movement. Visit their site. It is full of helpful information.

Go Red For Women celebrates the energy, passion and power we have as women to band together to wipe out heart disease and stroke... the color red and the red dress now stand for the ability all women have to improve their heart health and live stronger,longer lives.

In the collage above in the lower left hand corner is a painting Erica did when she was recoveringfrom her valve replacement surgery nearly two years ago. The message here is 'Unbreakable'! Her's was a birth defect but heart disease is present on both sides of the fence in our family. My dad died from congestive heart failure at an advanced age, probably from eating way too much red meat and smoking since he was 9 years old. My mom had heart bypass surgery in her early 60's also from smoking and probably from a poor diet. Then there's me with my high blood pressure and annoying 'tachycardia' or rapid heartbeat. A bunch of fruitcakes all!


Doctor: Have you ever had this before?

Patient: Yes.

Doctor: Well, you've got it again!

5 comments:

Julie said...

My family history is rampant with heart disease. I call it the Munro curse. As far as this is concerned, I feel as if it is nature winning over nurture. Doesn't matter if slim or fat, the Munros have diabetes, heart disease and heart attacks. I am quite fatalistic about it.

I am so glad your daughter's prolem was repaired through surgery.

JUlie

Marianne said...

Erica's collage is beautiful :^)
Please, take great care of your heart, :^)

Christy Woolum said...

All the students and staff wore red at school Friday to honor a woman that just died of a heart attack. It was a brilliant show of support with all the red everywhere.

Tom said...

Good luck with this, it is a very good idea. Heart problems are rife in my family, indeed I was 5 days into my 40th year when I had my first heart attack.. 6months down the line another bigger one and all in all I've had 5. I needed a triple bypass 6 years ago and it helped but now the electrics on my heart are shot.
Being aware this can be a family issue is so important. Change of diet/life style will help but being aware is the biggest help you can give yourself.

mrsnesbitt said...

My mum died of heart disease, but she smoked...as did her sisters and brother...all died. Her other brother did not smoke and is with us today. I have never smoked but have had a recent health check and have low cholesterol and blood pressure.....but I watch everything! Never resting that I am fit & healthy enough!