Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Forrest Gump-ing along






July is quickly exhausting itself and I am left with two small stones that have been hiding in my pocket. Namely sublime and ridiculous.
This is my Aunt Yolande on the left at her wedding reception in Idaho. That was mid-century and just last Thursday she passed away. She was in her 90's and was the last remaining member of her family of 5 brothers and one sister. Imagine how I looked up to someone so elegant who had been in New York City learning to model at the Barbizon, who always wore pretty clothes and sat with her left hand in her lap whenever she was eating. The only magazines she had in her house that I remember were Vogue and Harper's Bazaar. She was my Godmother, who studied opera and raised three adopted children, never missed Mass and continued to be the matriarch of the family after her parents died. As in every life, there was plenty of good and a lot of close calls, prejudices, feuding and exclusion. I remember it all. The last time I saw her she told me she was afraid to die, mainly because she thought it must be so painful. I'm hoping not.

Now for that little scratchy pebble called Ridiculous. . .I stopped to take this photo last week because I've seen a lot of things growing out of this topiary dog, but never a squirrel masseuse.  Maybe he's just asking for directions. 
Maybe its the heat and I just thought I saw this. This is one for Camera Critters.

'stupid is as stupid does'

9 comments:

clairz said...

Lovely memory of your elegant aunt.

Crazy squirrel photo. I'm pretty sure they all belong to a secret society that dreams up things to do that make us think we're going nuts from the heat.

Ms. Becky said...

Oh Noni, there are so so many similarities we share. your Aunt Yolande is beautiful and the resemblance is strong. I too had an aunt with such sophistication - my Aunt Marie. and same situation - she was the matriarch of the family, my father's sister. if I've been "cultured" in any respect, it would be due to her tutelage. thanks for sharing your memories of Aunt Yolande. I love her name. that squirrel shot is too funny. I think the heat is driving us a bit mad! I hope you're finding cool spots to relax and have fun this weekend. take good care now.

Cheryl said...

What a nice tribute to your aunt; so sorry for your loss.

That squirrel shot? Perfection.

Snap said...

Fun post ... indeed sublime and ridiculous. Lovely tribute to your god-mother.

Adrienne Zwart said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Your aunt sounded like a wonderful person!

interesting photo of the squirrel. :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Nice capture of squirrel.

Regards!

Linda said...

those pesky squirrels will turn up anywhere

wonderful memories of your aunt

Daryl said...

such a lovely post/tribute to your aunt/godmother .. and what a loss it is when the last of our parents generation passes ..

that is a truly funny photo of the squirrel masseuse!

Kate said...

Your aunt was a remarkable person, deserving of your admiration.

The squirrels are everywhere!