Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Today's Flowers: a new year!

This little wild impatiens [(Impatiens capensis] grows in the shady areas around Island Lake where I walk in the summer [oh Summer, how I miss thee!]. A little research uncovered its folk medicinal properties: the 'juice' from the leaf stems can be effective to relieve the itch from poison ivy. But here's the irony: they can be found growing near poison ivy plants. Mother Nature is so thrifty. . .

See more lovely flowers, medicinal or whimsical, at Today's Flowers. Here's to another great year of beauty from Luiz Santilli's Monday meme!

12 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Happy New Year. Thanks for this beautiful blossom this morning!

Marianne said...

Interesting fact I did not know and yes, She does tend to be thrifty :^)
Happy New Year and the Best of Wishes to you and yours, Dearest. xox

Daryl said...

Those little orange flowers .. those are not impatiens are they? They look like Lady Slippers

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Noni: I see that flower and never knew its name. Thanks for the ID. Have a great twenty ten.

Gunilla said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely flower. I haven´t seen it before.
Have a nice day and a Happy New Year.
Thanks for visiting me too
Gunilla in Sweden

Pat's Addition said...

Bet you have a lot of snow!

i beati said...

Blessings in the New double digits flower so simple and lovely sandy

Anonymous said...

This must be the season to renew oneself as I look out at my landscape, devoid of things except cold and snow, I wonder how life works below the carpet of snow and mulch. Down below where it must be warm, they are getting out their new makeup for 2010.

Regina said...

Hello. Cheers for the New year.
Lovely blooms.

The Horizon said...

Happy New Year. Thanks for the visit. Your flower is also starting to bloom, it's cute and lovely.

Flowers said...

What an incredible blossom. I am not at all familiar with this plant, but it sounds like one I would like to get to know better.

DeniseinVA said...

Great information for a very beautiful flower. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year!