Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fungii by any other name

are still mushrooms to me, or to put it another way, I have just about enough information to be dangerous.
ABC Wednesday has reached the letter "M" and below are several photos I've taken of varieties mushrooms. The latest is this pleasing cluster on top of a tree trunk. Poisonous?
I had to climb down into a ditch bank to get a photo of this large mushroom among the weeds. It was seriously the size of a baseball.
There were several of these dark brown ones around the lake and somehow their leathery appearance and large size made me wonder if it is possible for some to be more poisonous than others.
The sign of many active spores in this bit of grass.
My favorite glistening toadstools popping up in the dog walking area along the curbing.

Finally, the prettiest even though it was in its latter stages. Mother Nature's art pieces. There is something so mysterious about them, almost like a rare decorative item that shows up in the most unlikely places--an antique shop or perhaps in the window of a brownstone you pass every day on the way to the bus. . .Visit Mrs Nesbitt at her wonderful Meme here to join and/or savor all the possible photographs of 'm' words.

21 comments:

Petrus said...

I've just started to grow mushrooms - the pack came from a garden centre though ...

These photos are great - I would not like to pick any - I would be afraid they were poisonous..

babooshka said...

I am always looking for Manx fairies when I see a mushroom ring, alas no. Perhaps they are under yours.

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Nice that you included that last one with its fading beauty.

ChrisC and JonJ said...

OH!I have a mushroom too.Your's are better tho.

kouji haiku said...

scary mushrooms. :O

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Noni

Yesterday I cooked "risotto" I used mushrooms "Paris"
Great idea for ABC...

Luiz

Jenn said...

Oh yes... mushroom! I didn't think or this! Great shots!

My M entries are posted here and here. Please drop by if you have time. Thanks a lot!

uncleawang said...

Ganoderma mushroom is good for health.
The mushroom that did not attract any ants is poisonous.
Happy ABC-Wednesday.

ArneA said...

I know nothing about fungi, and because some are poisonous I leave them in nature

Greyscale Territory said...

Mushrooms have the most fascinating shapes and textures! You have captured that wonderful range of beauty!

Rinkly Rimes said...

My favourite? The cluster. It looks so perfectly positioned that it almost looks fairy-like.

RuneE said...

Some are lovely to watch - some are dangerous to eat. I don't know which is which. If they do not come from a glass, I don't eat them.

Aileni said...

A very specialized subject in the culinary sense - and even then mistakes are made.
I am not sure anyone would eat a puff-ball.
Wonderful collection of photos from one area.

Reader Wil said...

Some of these mushrooms are edible! Your photos are very beautiful and inspiring. I'd like to go looking for mushrooms as well now.

Old Wom Tigley said...

Great post ... the one like a ball is I think a Giant Puffball.. it can be eaten... scoop out the insides and stuff like you would peppers them cook whole.. .. but make sure it is a Puffball first.. :O) We don't want to be losing you now.

Bear Naked said...

All these mushroom photos are wonderful but your final photo is my favourite.
Did you happen to see any fairies or gnomes while you were shooting your mushroom photos?

Bear((( )))

photowannabe said...

Mystical, magical mushrooms. Great pictures but just be sure which ones are edible.

D Herrod said...

Cool idea for ABC Wednesday

Neva said...

I have never seen -in person-the last mushroom you show....it is a lovely one....

Powell River Books said...

I love to eat mushrooms but don't know anything about them in the wild. Lots of people where I live pick them to sell and eat. Maybe I should learn some more. I invite you to come see my "Margy's Mouse Mechanism". -- Margy

Rebeckah said...

I really love you mushroom pictures. I always wonder how to tell if they are poisionous also. I like eating them, but no one else in the house does, so I don't cook them too often!